- Ollie scored his first podium in the VW Racing Cup – taking second place in the race 2 of the day
- Ollie climbed from the back of the pack to come home in 8th position after a strategic pitlane start
- Saturday’s event marks Ollies VW Racing Cup debut and just his 3rd race meeting of his career
- Ollie qualified in 8th position, finished race 1 in 8th position and finished race 2 in 2nd position
- Ollie finished race 2 just 0.833 behind the eventual winner Richard Gilbert
What an incredible weekend, I am over the moon with how it panned out. To be honest I actually thought I was in 5th place in race 2, if I would have known I may have tried to make a move on him but he was driving very well defensively and overall I’m happy, very happy.
We have a few teething issues at the beginning of the day and we took the safer option to start race 1 from the pits with the things that are going on but it was very good and in race 2 I was much more confident.
I only got my ARDS licence 4 weeks ago now, so I am very inexperienced and used to being in the passenger seat having been an instructor at Palmersport. For me, these events are all about getting track knowledge, some car knowledge and getting to know how Motorsport works.
I could not ask to be part of a better team to help me get into Motorsport. People say this team is a family team and I am experiencing this first-hand. Team HARD. Racing is a great team to be a part of. They make me feel happy and content.
A podium is a really satisfying result, especially on a track that Ollie has never been to before against a host of newer MK7 Golfs. With no testing on these weekends Ollie went straight into qualifying having never been on the track in the dry, let alone the wet. He did a great job of staying out of trouble and the team took the decision to start race 1 from the pitlane to avoid any potential trouble into the opening corner.
Ollie did a great job, driving to the conditions in each session and it all came together in the final race of the day taking a podium on debut against some very established VW Racing Cup competitors.
We have a week off this week so we will be working with Ollie on the next opportunity to get out on track.