Latest News

Recent News


Simon and his Silverstone Blog

So onto round 3 at the iconic Silverstone GP track in Northamptonshire, which is one of the longest track we go to. I raced here in the f4 last year in my first ever race and I remember it being really wide and flowing, favouring the people that push the limits.

I have to admit that I had some practice the day before in Jensen Buttons McLaren, on the Playstation of course, just to familiarise myself with the track layout.

We arrived at the track early on Friday morning for the test session to a really greasy track. Car looked nice and clean and even had a new windscreen on and before we started, I was awarded a new Hydrorace drinks bottle for being the winner of the May competition, starting the weekend off on a winner!

It was a weird setup as the track wasn't wet and it wasn't dry, just really horrible and greasy. Luckily the track improved throughout the day and so did my lap times. After each session we were in and out of the truck looking at the videos and times of the session with improvements to be had. Overall it was a good day and I was really looking to get a good qualifying session together on Saturday.

Quali wasn't until 5pm but I wanted to get to the track midday to run through everything again to prepare for quali. Once that was sorted, the Rudd fans started flocking in and enjoying the teamHARD hospitality (thanks Gary and Mrs G!). 5pm was soon here and quali was underway, after the 20mins were up and pushing really hard I eventually ended up in the midfield at P19. Solid, but I wanted to be higher than that so I knew I would have to be on my A game for the races on Sunday.

Saturday night saw me, the family and friends head back to the hotel and then grab a bite to eat. The standard steak and chips with peppercorn sauce was on the menu for me which sorted me right out! Realising it was the Froch v Groves boxing we scrambled around attempting to find a viewing or commentary on our phones but ended up back at the hotel on the wifi watching it.

Sunday morning arrived and after a fairly average eggs and beans on toast for breakky at the hotel we headed down to the track for 8am. The races were 10:30 and 12:55 so it was a fun filled morning. Again the fans came ’flying’ in and race 1 was upon us.

Starting P19 I got a tentative start, I don’t know why but I should have been much more aggressive. After a couple of the laps the safety car was out and the out board showed P17. Unfortunately someone decided to overtake me under the safety car and left a huge gap to the guy in front. To top it off he ran out of ability, spun and I t-boned him putting me back to P27. It made for an interesting last lap where I made up 4 places to P23.

Race 2 was quickly upon us and a P23 start. I got a much better start and was a lot more aggressive, making up a couple of spots on the opening lap. As the laps went by I made up places and had some good battles, it was really enjoyable! After the 20 minutes the chequered flag was out and a P17 finish was the result.

Overall it was an OK weekend results wise. I was aiming for the top 15 and even top 10 but I picked up some more points for the championship and another 2 races completed. I forgot how physical Silverstone was and definitely deserved my chip shop treat on the way home. As always a huge thanks to the team, my sponsors and friends and family. Onto Snetterton on 22nd June!

Simon Rudd

comments powered by Disqus